Wednesday 19 May 2010

Robin Hood

Well I've seen this twice over the last few days, the 2nd time with my eldest child, after making sure it was suitable for her!

And so to the film!

Brilliant!

Ridley Scott has attempted to show something more than the myth that is Robin Hood, proof that maybe this legend really did exist. And from starting where he has with this story he's built a solid foundation for future films (well I got the impression that he wants to continue). Scotts vision of 12th Century England is superb and the Tower of London surrounded by forest just looked amazing.
The story he is telling is really good, and he paints Robin to be a man of honesty and commitment, something I think as always been shown in other stories, but Scott really drives it home in this film.
His battle scenes are Epic, but I still wonder about the French landing boats being a little out of place in this period! See for yourself!

I like Crowe's Robin a lot, even the accent and on the 2nd viewing try as I might I never heard any Irish! Will Scarlett played by Scott Grimes (ER), is the one that drops the ball on his Welsh accent. Little John played by Kevin Durand and Alan Doyle plays Alan A'Dayle. They all play good parts, but the best performance was by Cate Blanchett as Marion, she was brilliant.

Mark Strong gives his usual villainous performance while Prince/King Jon is played really well by Oscar Isaac (Body of lies).The rest of the cast are all good as well.

The music is great and another OST to add to my collection.

So overall I liked this a lot, from the story and direction to the cast, solid entertainment! (9/10)

1 comment:

  1. Well it def. wasn't Gladiator in Sherwood forest. It has taken some stick (dodgy accents, lack lustre perfomances etc) but I liked it a lot. I have a soft spot for Russell Crowe (a modern day steve mcqueen) and he does action very well. The script was good and noone gave a poor performance. His 'merry men' provided relief without making it too light hearted and maid marion was by no means a damsel in distress. This was a grittier Robin probably more realistic. One thing it has done is pave the way for a possible sequel but we'll have to wait and see 10/10.

    ReplyDelete