Tuesday 14 September 2010

Amer

Film 21 - (Monday)

Three key moments, all of them sensual, define Ana's life. Her carnal search sways between reality and colored fantasies becoming more and more oppressive. A black laced hand prevents her from screaming. The wind lifts her dress and caresses her thighs. A razor blade brushes her skin, where will this chaotic and carnivorous journey leave her?

Cast: Marie Bos, Delphine Brual, Harry Cleven, Bianca Maria D'Amato and Cassandra Foret

Written by Helene Cattet and Bruno Forzan

Directed by Helene Cattet and Bruno Forzani

What I liked? The visuals, the sound effects, the soundtrack.

What I didn't like? Not understanding it!

Summary: I really didn’t fancy the Video Nasty documentary, even though people said it was very good. So opted for the discovery screen to see the French/Belgium film Amer.

A modern Giallo film and one which must keep to this style of film very well, Alan Jones calls it is favourite film of the last ten years. And he is a bit of an expert on these films! So Alan liked it, well liked it a lot, I was not sure what I was letting myself in for with this one, but went with it anyway.

I’ve not really focused much attention to the Giallo film’s of the past, but I think it’s an avenue of foreign film I would like to investigate just based on this film alone. Amer was not an easy film to follow, concerning it’s self with moment’s during a girl’s life as she passes from child to teenager to adult. It looks amazing, and the soundtrack complemented the film perfectly, but trying to piece together a coherent plot line was hard. Maybe it lacked a plot, the killer turned up in the final act, no motive, and no clues to who he/she was, which just added to the confusion of it all.


Maybe all Giallo films are like this, and once I’ve seen a few, the pattern and flow will seem more obvious.


I never disliked anything in the film, all of the imagery, the sounds and the music are amazing, it’s such a different film experience to normal films really and one I must admit I did enjoy in the end.


Overall interesting film making and amazing to look and listen too! (8/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment