Tuesday 14 September 2010

The Last Exorcism

Film 26 - (Monday) - The Last Film of the weekend!

A troubled evangelical minister agrees to let his last exorcism be filmed by a documentary crew.

Cast: Patrick Fabian - Cotton Marcus, Ashley Bell - Nell Sweetzer.

Written by Huck Botko and Andrew Gurland

Soundtrack by Nathan Barr

Directed by Daniel Stamm

What I liked? Patrick Fabian, Ashley Bell, the look of the film.

What I didn't like? The open ending, just missed the point of it.

Summary: And the final film of the weekend, Eli Roth was in attendance and so was the security! Anyway not much chance of getting near of these people, at least they did a proper signing anyway.

I have to say Mr Roth is a very confident man, and he really tried to sell us this film. The problem I have with the film, isn’t with the actual film, I pretty much liked it. My problem is the marketing, its way off target. This isn’t a horror film, certainly not in the style of the Exorcist, it’s a drama with some horror elements. I think people are going into this in the wrong frame of mind!


Another film which I’m not going to dwell on, it’s got some really good performances in and the direction is pretty good in the most part. It wants to be a Blair Witch type but tries to spell out where the story is going. Which in the end does not really come out that well.


The concept and delivery are pretty good. It starts to wander near the end though and loses some of its early momentum.


It also has an end which can be one thing or another depending on what you have interpreted the film to be about. I didn’t get it, until Roth explained it!


Then it made more sense! So I’d have been lost seeing it outside the festival.


I’m in two minds about it though, and still really haven’t decided how much I liked it.
o

Overall good performance’s out weigh a film trying to be a little too clever (7/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment