Monday 13 September 2010

I Spit on your grave (2010)

Film 13 - (Saturday)

A remake of the infamous video nasty.

A writer is brutalized during her cabin retreat seeks revenge on her attackers, who left hr for dead.

Cast: Sarah Butler - Jennifer, Chad Lindberg - Matthew, Daniel Franzese - Stanley, Jeff Branson - Johnny and Andrew Howard - Sheriff Storch.

Written by Stuart Morse

Soundtrack by Corey A Jackson

Directed by Steven R. Monroe

What I liked? Shouldn't really like anything in the film. But the revenge kills are pretty over the top and violent. Sarah Butler and Andrew Howard (Said he would be back) as another nutter, this time with a badge!

What I didn't like? I should say all of it really, but I can't!

Summary: Now this is the sort of thing I go to Frightfest to see, something grim and extremely violent. A film you might not want to own, but one most horror fans will want to see at least once. The first 50 minutes are pretty grim, a harrowing, unnerving 50 minutes where we see countless acts of brutality against the young female writer.
The good thing is I cared for this character, the opening 10 minutes did enough for her character to be liked, so I was willing her revenge to take over the film. And when that came did she bring it! Boy did she!

The revenge killings are brutal, but represent how she was attacked by that person, earlier in the film. They were inventive, but never over the top and I was always on her side, revenge was sweet justice and she went about her plan perfectly.

One clever thing Steven Monroe did was not to turn the end into a fight between her last victim and her, she took her revenge and took it well.

Sarah Butler was great, she had enough innocence for me to really like her, but enough balls that you felt she could seek out such brutal revenge. The rest of the cast were all very good, and Howard was in great form again. the script was good along with the soundtrack.

So a film I shouldn't like, I really liked in the end, can't say I enjoyed it but.......I really liked it!

Overall, great cast and so much better than the original! (9/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment