Tuesday 14 September 2010

We are what we are

Film 17 - (Sunday)

We took a little break, didn't fancy the quiz and the short films so went and got some fresh air, coffee and relaxed before the next film.

So a Mexican film was next, this was one strange film.

When the patriarch of the family passes away, the teenage children must take responsibility for the family chores: the preparation of the rituals, the hunting and putting the all-important meat on the table. These newfound responsibilities are even more daunting, however, when you live in the city and happen to be a family of cannibals.

Cast: Adrian Aguirre - Adriana, Miriam Balderas - Sheyla, Francisco Barreiro - Alfredo and Carmen Beato - Patricia.

Written by Jorge Michel Grau

Soundtrack by Enrico Chapela

Directed by Jorge Michel Grau

What I liked? The cast, the acting, the script.

What I didn't like? The ending. Seemed to miss some narrative along the way!

Summary:

I left the cinema wondering what I had just watched. It never comes across what exactly these people are, talking about rituals, and looking for meat (human meat). I was under the impression they were a family of werewolf’s. Two films running I was up for this theme! And again this film proved me wrong.

Technically it was a great film to watch, a film about poverty, making ends meet and providing food for your family. They are not nice characters, they live in a hard world and the Director drove this message home. But they have a darker secret than most!

The more I think abut this film and the message it is saying, the more I liked it. A coming of age movie of sorts, a movie about the system but a movie with a sicker twist than most, that the family are cannibals.

With this in mind it becomes a really dark and well made horror, well acted and scripted. The clues or script may reveal the truth on another viewing, I hope they do.

A sort of sleeper movie for the festival, or at least my sleeper film!

Overall, now I have thought about it a really good horror film. (8/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment