Tuesday 14 September 2010

Scott Pilgrim vs. the world.

An Epic of Epic Epicness, reads the tag line, and while that's a big shout, it's not that far away!

Scott Pilgrim must defeat his new girlfriends seven evil exes in order to win her heart.

Cast: Michael Cera - Scott Pilgrim, Mary Elizabeth Winstead - Ramona Flowers, Anna Kendrick - Stacey Pilgrim, Kieran Culkin - Wallace Wells and Ellen Wong - Knives Chau.

Written by Edgar Wright and Michael Bacall

Directed by Edgar Wright

What I liked? The cast, the script, the visual look of the film.

What I didn't like? The soundtrack (outside of the film!).

Summary: Another comic book adaptation, at least its original material. Edgar Wright was the man charged with bringing this comic to the big screen.

First off I like Edgar Wright, enjoyed both Shaun of the dead and Hot Fuzz, so had high hopes for this one.

Sec
ond I’ve never read the comic books.

So the film, Epic nearly! Brilliant, hell yes! Like 300, Kick Ass and Sin City, Wright stayed true to the look and feel of the comic. I can’t say how close the story and dialogue are, but having seen some artwork, but he looks to have caught the tone of the comic perfectly. Maybe I might pick one up to see.


The cast are brilliant, Michael Cera was superb, well everybody is superb, they all seemed to fit their roles so well. The script is fresh, funny and filled with so many good lines, it’s hard to keep up with them.
The action sequences are way over the top, and so they should be, this is a computer game. A typical coin op in where Pilgrim must defeat the seven evil exes to win the girl of his dreams. I’m not sure how much reality is in this film, maybe not much. There are some, but the rest is all in Pilgrim’s head! A head filled with computer games and music! This is a true pop culture film, it never hides from this and throws reference after reference at me.


It’s a film which I think has so many repeat viewings in it, I reckon I missed so much first time round.

Overall, Super Cast, Super Script, Super Visuals, Super Film (9/10)

No comments:

Post a Comment